Kundalini Yoga – what Himalayan masters say?
Kundalini (कुण्डलिनी) Yoga or Energy Yoga or Chakra Yoga, in some literature you can find Serpent Yoga – what Himalayan masters say? Being on top of interest of many yoga practitioners Energy yoga become more and more popular worldwide. Unfortunately the real Kundalini Yoga practice is relatively hard to find and it’s required for sure good preparation with particular previous practice that person can get experience and taste real energy yoga.
Simply to say Kundalini yoga is a part of classical Hatha yoga or better to say, Raja Yoga. It can be described as higher level of Hatha Yoga because raised Kundalini energy gives variety of experience that is rarely possible after simple fitness yoga. That’s way Chakra yoga belongs to the “yoga beyond asana” practice. Question comes, what makes this Energy yoga much powerful, let’s remember 8 Limbs of Ashtanga Yoga: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dhyna, Dharana, Samadhi. First five practices are basic, last three are consequence or result of basic. Next interesting thing is where is Kundalini yoga here? Interesting this is everywhere, but in it’s full tasty and resulted form only in last three. Why?
Kundalini yoga considered a practice for all chakras, as we know there are 7 main chakras Mooladhara (Root) chakra, Swadhistana (Sacral ) chakra, Manipura (Navel chakra), Anahata (Heart ) chakra, Vishuddhi (Throat) chakra, Ajna (third eye) chakra, Sahasrara (crown) chakra. For each of them exists particular yama, niyama, asana, pranayama, pratyahara practice. For example if we take Mooladhara chakra, specific practice for this chakra (after understanding of it’s main traits, worries – confidence, survival mode, safety, material security) will be
1. Yama – non stealing, non agitation
2. Niyama – right living in form of for example by mooladhara chakra – regular nutrition minimum 3 times a day, with sleep of 7 hours, give up of addictions, “grounded” lifestyle, use of ayurvedic herbs like for example Ashwagandha
3. Asana – exact asana for balancing energy of mooladhara chakra – Paschimottanasana, Shashankasana, Uttanasana etc
4. Pranayama – Nadi Shodhana with Prithvi Mudra and Moola Bandha, Pray or Mantra
5. Pratyahara – Concentration (pre – level of meditation) on earth element, Om sound, C note of Nada meditation or vedic astrology – vastu practice of planets mantra, meditation with mandala
6. Dharana – if all steps done correct in previous level. You can reach longer, profound meditation but still interrupted. From this point you can feel the result of raised Kundalini energy in for of breath suspension, longer sitting in one pose, some strange tingling feeling in hands, feet, some “movie” like visions, smell feelings, some changes in relations with people, job etc
7. Dhyana – uninterrupted concentration. Possible also to reach if you live usual life, but it’s required good meditation practice daily, not a stressful job, ability to spend some time in “saint” or “healing” places like India, Tibet, Nepal. As much more time you give to meditation practice as much more uninterrupted meditative state you will reach.
8. Samadhi or liberation. Freedom from all fears, worries, responsibilities with free mind. 99 % of people can not reach this in usual life in city with responsible daily work. Its required silence, loneliness, observation and being surrender. But here is an interesting thing – after reaching this you can still come to usual life being in Samadhi. However most of masters who reach this stage do not want to come back in usual life. They mostly will be not understood there or it will required efforts to manage the routine that for them seems not much important.
The aim of this article is not to blackmail yoga studios with course names of Kundalini, where people are teaching only asana or superficial concentration practice. We just wish to show where the place of Kundalini yoga is, what is an exact way to reach it. Everyone can decide self if Kundalini yoga is right way for him or her. You can see clearly that Kundalini yoga can not be practiced by beginners, as it is technically and physically not possible.
If you are interested in deeper learning and teaching of Kundalini yoga to others, you can find details on our page of Kundalini Yoga teacher training.